Friday, May 15, 2015

Justin "Truck Guy" Nyquist Visits Maverick Car Company



“We’ve got some boss trucks over here,” I told Justin Nyquist of Heartland Payment Systems, “you should visit and test drive one.”

“Now you’re speaking my language,” he replied, then added, “I think I’d prefer the Tundra to the Silverado. But, then again, I love trucks. So why not drive a nice car?”

“Exactly,” I agreed, “Why not?”

“But,” Justin said, “Then again, trucks are so much fun.”

I nodded to myself, just going with it, then gave him a verbal nudge,“Greg at Maverick says the Tundra’s ready for a cruise.”

“Well. That might settle that decision,” said Justin agreeably.

Which is probably why he drove the Ford F-150 EcoBoost. Too many great choices, and only time to test drive one rig. You’ve gotta hand it to Justin, though. Of all the choices he could’ve made, getting the keys to the turbocharged, direct injection, low-end torque EcoBoost wasn’t a bad way to go.

“My friends in the Marine Corps asked me how I could go from the military into PR work,” he smiled, “because nobody does that.”

“---and then people are wondering how I could go from PR into sales, because nobody does that, either,” he laughed.

By then, I was fairly certain Justin was a relative. Types such as us like to try everything life has to offer. Why be confined to just sampling a few things? Why not sample and excel at many things?

Exactly so.

 “I went from being an electrical contractor to a writer,” I told him, and it didn’t even phase him. It’s just the way people like us roll. 

“I’m basically A.D.D.,” I contributed, unashamed.

He nodded, like that was really no big deal, then divulged that he’s from Minnesota, which led to a whole other conversation about lutefisk, “hot dishes”, and the phrase “uff da”. 

Which led to a discussion on whether or not that is a nice word. Both my Minnesotan friend Lisa and Justin Nyquist promises that it’s family-friendly. (Of course, I had to look it up in the world’s most accurate source, Wikepedia: “an expression of surprise, astonishment, and at times, dismay. An expression with a variety of nuances, often used as an alternative for many common obscenities…aha).


Watching Justin drive away in the shiny, bright blue EcoBoost, and knowing that the test drive was probably going to make his day was rather fulfilling. When he returned 20 minutes later, there was that test drive smile we knew so well. Asking if he liked it was just a courtesy.


It was interesting getting to know Mr. J. Nyquist, and learning more about what he’s doing now. Very similar to Maverick, he wants to be that surprise within his chosen business, where you get better service and more attention than is expected. Justin also plans to provide common sense advice for those in need of payment systems.

“Never, never rent your machine,” was one of the things he told us, “You’ll wind up paying far more than if you’d have simply bought one.”

The payment systems world is fortunate to have Justin Nyquist, and we were fortunate to have him stop by Maverick today.       

~"Maverick" Amy



No comments:

Post a Comment